What is a Chargeback?
How many days do I have to dispute the chargeback?
You have 7 days from the chargeback date to submit a dispute. Please provide your dispute documentation to the chargeback team <firstname.lastname@example.org> following these guidelines:
Please put ALL documentation in a single PDF no larger than 1.9 MB.
Anything not in the PDF will not be sent to the bank.
- Total pages must not exceed 20
- Original BlueSnap Order Reference number must be placed in the subject line of your email
- One dispute per email
- No hyperlinks
- No sensitive personal identifiable information (such as pictures of photo IDs or credit cards) Items that should be sent in are order invoices, anything that the cardholder signed (if possible), proof that goods were delivered/services were rendered, any communication with the customer and any other proof that shows the cardholder authorized the transaction. If you have previous transactions that have not been disputed by this cardholder, please send that invoice in as well so that we can use it as compelling evidence.
What happens once I dispute a chargeback?
Once your information has been submitted please allow for up to 90 days for any decision regarding the disputed chargeback to be made. If the chargeback is reversed, you will see a credit in your account within that time frame. If the chargeback is not reversed there will be no credit issued to your account and no further action will be taken.
My applicant told me they called their bank and reversed the chargeback. Will a chargeback reversal show in Regpack? How will I know the reversal was successful?
Please let us (email@example.com) know ifn your applicant has reversed a chargeback. We will confirm with BlueSnap’s chargeback team that the chargeback has been reversed on their end as well. Once the Chargeback has been reversed and credited back to your merchant account, you will see this credit in your subsequent payout.
The chargeback reversal will not log in Regpack, so once the chargeback is confirmed as reversed, a manual payment will need to be logged to bring the applicant's balance up to date.
Here's how to process a manual payment
Do the processing fees also get returned?
Unfortunately, the processing fees are not refunded.
Is there a fee to process a chargeback/refund?
Yes, your business is charged a chargeback fee each time a chargeback is issued. You can receive confirmation of the fee by sending a written request to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Although a chargeback can be successfully disputed, the chargeback fee cannot be refunded.
How long after the payment does the shopper have to issue a chargeback?
Depending on the bank's policy, a card holder has a right to dispute the charge up to 1 year after the purchase was made. Merchants can file a chargeback dispute up to 7 days after the chargeback has been posted on the account. For more information on disputes please see this link.
How was this applicant able to issue a chargeback? Our policy clearly outlines a no refund policy, and they read the terms of service.
A chargeback is issued when a shopper contacts their bank and reports a fraudulent charge on their statement, or claims they did not receive services for their payment. The bank then takes the money back from the payment processor with no warning or notification, as it is a customer / consumer right to dispute what they believe or perceive to be fraudulent activity. Unfortunately, chargebacks cannot be avoided, only disputed. We recommend contacting the applicant immediately if they issue a chargeback.
I received a notice there are too many chargebacks on my account. What can I do now?
If the chargeback level on your merchant account has surpassed the acceptable thresholds established by MasterCard and Visa the Regpack payments team will reach out to you. As a reference, the industry-acceptable threshold for excessive chargeback ratio (# of chargebacks divided by # of sales) is 1% or higher. The payment processor will send you the the chargeback ratio for your account in the past month:
- Number of sales
- Number of chargebacks
- Chargeback ratio
Regpack's goal is to help you correct this and get back on track.
It is critical that you create an action plan with the payment processor.
To prevent chargebacks
- Assess your business and understand the root cause for the elevated chargeback levels.
- Ensure your Terms and Conditions are clear
- Set a custom soft descriptor
- Clarify your refund policy for registrants
- Clear description of the product/service
- You know your business best, however; if we can help in analyzing please let us know.
BlueSnap Chargeback Information
To reach the Payments team, email email@example.com